The advent of cloud computing has led to a rapid transformation of businesses across the globe. Enterprises are leveraging the cloud to transform their business, save costs, increase efficiencies, scale operations, and find new market opportunities while meeting security and compliance requirements. In this blog, we will discuss key opportunities that cloud migration can provide for small enterprises and approaches to take.
Improved Agility and Flexibility
One of the biggest benefits of cloud computing is that it can help small businesses to improve their agility and flexibility. With cloud-based applications and infrastructure, businesses can quickly and easily scale up or down their IT operations and resources as needed. This can be a huge advantage for businesses that are facing rapidly changing market conditions or that need to be able to respond quickly to new opportunities. Here is an example –
- A small marketing agency was struggling to keep up with the demands of its clients. The agency had to constantly purchase new hardware and software, and it was difficult to keep track of all the different systems. This made it difficult to quickly deploy new marketing campaigns and to respond to changes in the
- The agency decided to move to the This allowed the agency to access all its applications and data from anywhere, at any time.
- As a result of moving to the cloud, the agency was able to improve its agility. The agency was able to quickly deploy new marketing campaigns and to respond to changes in the market. This allowed the agency to win new clients and to grow its business.
Another major benefit of cloud computing is that it can help small businesses to reduce their IT costs. When businesses move their IT infrastructure to the cloud, they can often save money on hardware, software, and maintenance costs.
For example, a small enterprise that is currently using on-premises must procure hardware, pay for electricity, real estate and employ IT staff to manage IT infrastructure. By moving to cloud, the company can save over 50% of its IT costs allowing them to reinvest savings into core areas of their business and increase their top and bottom line.
Cloud providers often offer a pay-as-you-go pricing model, which can help businesses to further reduce their costs. This means that businesses only pay for the IT resources that they use, reducing operational costs which can help them to avoid overpaying for unused resources.
Increased Performance and Collaboration
Based on DORA’s latest State of the DevOps report, organizations that embrace cloud are known to perform 2.5 times better compared to their industry peers.
Migrating to cloud and cloud native technologies will attract top talent and accelerate delivery of fine products and services that will improve the top line, scale to new geographies and markets and will have a cascading effect on improving productivity.
In addition to this, Cloud helps enhance collaboration across employees. With cloud-based applications and infrastructure, employees can easily share files, collaborate on projects, and communicate with each other from anywhere in the world. This can help businesses to improve their productivity, efficiency, and time to market.
Cloud computing can help enterprises increase innovation. By freeing up IT resources, cloud computing can allow businesses to invest in new technologies and design new applications without hardware limitation that can help them to grow their business. In addition, cloud can provide businesses with access to a wide range of cloud-based tools and resources that can help them to innovate more quickly and easily resulting in cascading benefits.
For example, a business that is using cloud-based computing can access powerful computing resources that can be used to run complex simulations or to develop new AI based algorithms. A business that is using cloud-based development tools can collaborate with developers from around the world to develop new products or services.
Also, many cloud vendors offer a range of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) services that can accelerate development and testing cycles.
Improved Security and Compliance
Advent of new technologies have also resulted in higher risks for security. Past few years have seen severe security attacks on businesses of all sizes ranging from small businesses to global enterprises. These not only impact the topline and bottom-line of the business but also impact their credibility and reputation and can often land companies in huge penalties.
Many cloud providers offer a wide range of security features such as data encryption, intrusion detection, and access control. These features can help businesses to protect their data from unauthorized access, theft, or loss. In addition, cloud providers go through rigorous compliance audits that are very difficult for a smaller enterprise particularly when they operate in regulated businesses such as Finance, Healthcare, and many others.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, cloud migration can also offer the following opportunities for small enterprises:
- Access to new markets. Cloud computing can help small businesses to expand into new markets by providing them with a scalable and reliable IT infrastructure.
- Improved customer service. Cloud computing can help small businesses to improve their customer service by providing them with the tools they need to provide 24/7 support and to quickly resolve customer issues.
- Increased employee productivity and performance. Cloud computing can help small businesses to increase employee productivity by providing them with access to the latest applications and tools from anywhere in the world.
- Reduced IT costs. Cloud computing can help small businesses to reduce their IT costs by eliminating the need to purchase and maintain on-premises hardware and software.
How Small Enterprises Can Migrate to Cloud
It can be overwhelming for small organizations to migrate to the cloud. While there are many vendors, technologies and approaches, it can get complex and can be difficult to know where to start.
Here are a few tips for small enterprises that are looking to migrate to the cloud:
- Choose the right cloud platform for your needs. There are many different cloud platforms available, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Some factors to consider when choosing a cloud platform include the type of applications you need to run, skills of your team, existing partnerships, your business and customer locations, and your budget.
- Plan your migration carefully. Migrating to the cloud can be a complex process, so it’s important to plan carefully. This includes identifying the applications and data that will be migrated, as well as the timeline and budget for the cloud migration. Alignment with your business objectives and priorities is critical as is identifying the right partner who can help you with your cloud journey
- Use a cloud migration service. If you’re not comfortable migrating to the cloud on your own, you can use a cloud migration service. These services can help you with all aspects of the cloud migration process, from planning to execution. You may use a partner, a set of cloud migration tools or both.
- Train your employees on how to use the cloud. Once your data has been migrated to the cloud, you need to train your employees on how to use the new cloud-based applications. This will help ensure that your business operations are not disrupted by the migration and customers and employees are satisfied,
- Monitor your cloud environment. Once your business is up and running in the cloud, you need to monitor your cloud environment for security and performance issues. This will help you identify and resolve any problems before they impact your business. Most cloud providing companies provide the tools and you can leverage partners for Managed Cloud Operations
By following these recommendations, small enterprises can successfully migrate to the cloud and reap the many benefits that the cloud has to offer.
Overall, cloud migration can offer several significant benefits for small enterprises. By migrating to the cloud, enterprises can improve their agility, performance, innovation while keeping their data secure and operations compliant resulting in higher customer satisfaction.
At Digitalstates, we partner with several customers leveraging cloud to transform their business. We will be glad to assist in your journey as well. Please feel free to reach out to us for your cloud transformation needs.